You can give your worksheets form-like functionality without ever having to use VBA. In order to achieve this, you will have to use form controls.
Using formulas in combination with form controls, one can further extend the form control functionality and form-like appearance of the worksheet at hand.
This article uses a few simple examples to illustrate how to use form controls in Excel.
Full article: How to use form controls in Excel
This article describes several alternative approaches to solving a lookup problem in Excel.
Specifically, the problem is: given an on-going list of invoices, create a lookup formula to find the product price based on the invoice date.
Also have a look at the article's comments, where readers propose additional solutions.
Full article: Excel price lookup for date and product name
Data cleaning is one of the necessary excel skills that you are expected to possess today.
A data set might be having certain inconsistencies, and to make it more presentable and to help proper understanding of the data it is necessary to make the data look better and error-free.
This article describes 11 techniques to help you 'clean' data in Excel:
- Run a spell check.
- Make the text case consistent.
- Remove any extra spaces.
- Clear all formatting, comments, hyperlinks.
- Treat cells containing errors.
- Use 'Find and Replace' feature to make data look better.
- Replace or substitute text.
- Replace blank cells with '0', 'No Value', 'Nothing', 'Not Available', etc.
- Treat duplicates.
- Merging contents of columns.
- Splitting contents of a column.
Full article: Ultimate guide to data cleaning in Excel
The tutorial explains the basics of lookup in Excel, shows the strengths and weaknesses of each Excel lookup function and provides a number of examples to help you decide which lookup formula is best to be used in a particular situation.
The lookup functions discussed are:
OFFSET MATCH MATCH.
INDEX MATCH MATCH.
Full article: Lookup in Excel: Functions and formula examples
This article explains how to consolidate data from numerous Excel files using Power Query.
- A folder contains hundreds of Excel files.
- New workbooks can be added to the folder, or some workbooks can be removed.
- Workbooks do not contain the same number of worksheets.
- Worksheets may be added or removed at any time.
- There is no naming convention for the worksheets.
- Each worksheet may contain one or more values to retrieve.
- The data needs to be consolidated often.
The solution: Use Power Query to import and consolidate the data automatically.
Full article: Retrieve values from many workbooks
This tutorial explains the basics of the Excel
HYPERLINK function and provides a few tips and formula examples to use it most efficiently.
HYPERLINKfunction - syntax and basic uses.
- How to use
HYPERLINKin Excel - formula examples.
- Create hyperlinks to different items.
VLOOKUPand insert a hyperlink to the first match.
- How to edit multiple
HYPERLINKformulas at a time.
HYPERLINKnot working - reasons and solutions.
New in Excel 2016 (for Office 365 subscription users only) are Map Charts.
Excel map charts can display your data encoded by:
- Values with a 2-color scale.
- Values with a 3-colour diverging scale.
- By category.
This article shows some examples of how to create and format Excel map charts.
Full article: Excel map charts
This post poses a problem: create a unique list in Excel based on criteria. Rather than just presenting a solution, the author helpfully walks us through how to understand the complicated formula that solves the problem.
The key point is that if you find a formula online and simply copy / paste it without understanding how it works, you limit yourself from the power it has, and therefore, you limit the power that you have.
Full article: Create a unique list in Excel based on criteria
Here is a simple checklist to double check your Excel formulas work:
- Are you mixed up?
- Roughly know what your answer should be.
- Check the order of precedents or operations.
- Switch your view to show formulas.
- Ensure all formula arguments are accounted for.
Full article: 5 ways to double check your Excel formulas